Monday, January 11, 2010

Peer pressure

I still remember how over hyped the movie Dark Knight(Batman series) was. Even worse, I was furious that it topped the imdb.com charts for many consecutive weeks dethroning my all time favorite Shawshank redemption. It took a long time before common sense prevailed and settled at the #8 spot. The same goes with Aamir Khan's new movie '3 idiots'. So rightly named! I just became the 4th idiot watching it.
I remember during under-graduation, students recommending study books that were too difficult to follow and claim they were excellent books to read and recommend it to fellow students, who would buy it and in turn do the same.

How about magazines that promotes and sells new things/ideas. Is a magazine equivalent to peer pressure? Do we feel tempted to think the way the magazine thinks and buy what the magazine says. I think so. What is your take on it?

4 comments:

Jas B said...

All comes down to marketing hey, peer pressure is one such marketing I'd say! :) And magazines, yeah, they are a kind of pressure as well.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

I am yet to watch it but you probably are the only one complaining about it....everyone else seemed to like the movie...almost like I could never figure out what was such a big deal about "rang de basanti" ...people were talking about coming out "transformed" from the cinema halls after watching the movie..honestly, i didn't understand that "powerful response" to that movie at all.....i still probably would watch this one though (with a little apprehension though now that I read your post) for the sole reason that I miss seeing Amir Khan in a comic role...the last must have been Dil Chahta hai, i guess!

Sarad said...

yes, meez complaining :-) some things about 3 idiots: it is an entertainment movie, i cannot stand gory scenes, ragging is not funny and any joke around ragging is not funny. the theme of the movie is well known, nothing new there.

there are however some really funny scenes. it is worth a watch, maybe. There is nothing to take home except a few really good laughs.

Sarad said...

rang de basanti was atleast better than this.